What Women Need After Birth Is…
Elizabeth Luke, owner of First Coast Doulas asked 48 women and 24 men to answer this question, “What women need after birth is __________.” You might be able to relate to their answers, or they may just catch you off guard and make you go hhmmm.
First Coast Doulas knows the challenges new families face.
Every experience is different and unique. We know that just because things went awry during birth or afterwards once doesn’t mean you are destine to that next go around, there’s support available. Preparing for what possibly lies ahead can mean the difference between feeling supported and having your voice heard versus feeling alone and like you had no say or support in your corner.
Without further ado here are 72 answers to the question, “What women need after birth is __________?
The women who were polled answered the question, “What women need after birth is ___________?”
* number of women with the same answer
- someone to feed my older kids
- a laundry fairy *4
- someone to show me ways to care for and soothe my baby (you can only learn so much from books and videos) *2
- someone at home with me so I didn’t have to be alone, no one should “have” to be alone after giving birth
- someone to listen *3
- food: healthy, warm food
- two more arms and wine
- support with breastfeeding
- someone to care for the baby so I could play with my other children
- freedom to cry and not get questioned
- more time off work *5
- my friends and family to help me without having to ask them *3
- someone to hold my baby so I could shower *5
- “a bottle washer I hated washing those damn bottles with a baby in the NICU”
- someone to help at night, just at night
- energy to do things *5
- someone to get the older kids ready for school and do homework with them
- to hold my baby first *2
- time to myself, for myself, space
- sleep *6
- a pediatrician that understood breastfeeding *2
The men who were polled answered the question, “What women need after birth is____________?”
* number of men with the same answer
- peace and quiet *2
- food, my wife needed pizza *2, but only 1 said pizza
- a trophy
- sleep *5
- their mother or sister because I didn’t understand any of it
- time alone with the baby to bond *3
- their husband *3
- more maternity leave *3
- people around who respect her decisions *2
- the bed to herself
First Coast Doulas offers services to help you reach your goals for birth and postpartum.
Do you know what a postpartum doula does? Probably not, most people don’t! Do you know what almost every single client we’ve had says? Go ahead take a guess, please!
It’s something along the lines of, “I had no idea this service was available”, or “where were you when I had my first?”
We get calls from women who’ve given birth and most of the time they expected they would bounce back rather quickly and life would be an easy transition. Either because they bounced back with their first, “Marcy and Tina went right back to work and life”, or they just really had no idea of what to expect. After all this is an all new territory, remember every birth is different.
While loved ones and friends get back to their own jobs, lives, and obligations, First Coast Doulas make you their top priority!
First Coast Doulas can support you with latching your baby at birth.
We’re knowledgeable about breastfeeding, helping you care for your newborn, and healing after birth.
We can lay out all the options so you can choose what’s best for you and your baby!
We help create a safe space for women to talk and unload as needed.
We help moms eat healthier snacks, help the family understand what they can do to help, help tidy up a little, and help keep that laundry fairy in check!
First Coast Doulas helps mothers, babies, and partners have an easier transition after birth!
First Coast Placenta is bring love, energy, and healing to women after birth.